Moving Planner Checklist
Approximately 2 months before the scheduled moving day
- Confirm the scheduled move date with A Wise Move. Make sure the time and addresses are correct.
- Start collecting boxes and packing supplies. Contact us early to order boxes and packing supplies, ensuring they arrive with enough time for you to pack. If you are going to pack yourself, start early, packing always takes longer than anticipated.
- Decide which items you will take. This is also a good time to decide how the furniture in the new house will be arranged. This will assist you in making the decision as to which pieces of furniture you will take and which you will not. If you decide to buy some new pieces of furniture, now is the time to check with the movers to see if they can pick up the new pieces as part of the move in order to avoid additional delivery costs.
- You will want to familiarize yourself with your new area and the schools, local job market, synagogues/churches as well as doctors, dentists and other medical providers.
- Contact the schools and have any records transferred.
- Contact your insurance agent to transfer homeowner, flood and automobile policies. Also, change the addresses on any other policies which are applicable.
- Start sorting through papers, books, clothes, toys, etc.
- Make sure to keep valuable items that will not be transported by your movers in a safe place so that they do not accidentally get packed.
- Retain all of your moving related receipts as many of these expenses are tax deductible. Contact the IRS at their website for more information.